It was time to take the Harley back to Michigan. I decided to go via the Outer Banks. Always wanted to see them, visit the Wright Brothers memorial (Kill Devil Hills not Kitty Hawk) and on the way north see Appomattox. Along the way I dodged most of the rain saw a few unexpected sites, met some nice people and completed my first 500+ mile ride in a day. No close calls, mostly dry weather and the bike ran well. What else could I ask for?
| OK all you Facebook Farmville game fans...here is the real Farmville in North Carolina. But then I also drove through Farmville, VA. I must say, both places were very agricultural. |
| Stopped at this park near Nags Head and walked out in the dunes to see a hang gliding competition. |
| Competitors on the hill waiting to take off. The headed away from this view and it was the worst wind direction. Normally they hope to take off in the direction coming at you in this view. |
| Just taking off |
| I enjoyed the Wright Brothers national monument. Hard to believe this statement was possible. |
| My luxury accommodations in Kitty Hawk. The ocean was just across the street. |
| The monument portion of the Wright Brothers site. Quite the piece of work and you see the size in scale with the people walking. |
| Sunrise! |
| I learned a corrective history lesson. The actual treaty signing was in this house on the grounds and not in the court house. |
| Unfortunately most of the site was never preserved until the 1930s when Congress authorized the historical site, reconstruction of buildings and purchase of surrounding property. |
| When I got off the bike there was this loud sound all around the place. Cicadas had emerged and carcasses were everywhere. |
| Appomattox Courthouse...not where the treaty was signed. |
No comments:
Post a Comment